Thursday, September 12, 2013

Frantic Frog 2013 Race Report by Brenda McGovern

Frantic Frog Triathlon is, for most triathletes, their seasons' last event, and there are some who still have a month or two to go. But this event is also commemorative for me, as it is during my birthday month.  In 2010, it was on my birthday (9/11).

I arrived, my usual early, only to find that everyone else did too! Parking was conveniently located across from transition in the grass.

For a sprint-distance race, I only take into transition items that I need for that race, and nothing else. It's something I learned at Worlds and they will DQ you if there's clutter. So, helmet on aero bars with race number and sunglasses inside. Only run hat on ground secured with run shoes on top. No Towel. My swim cap and goggles were in my Tri kit.

After usual sprints to bathroom, off I go to run/jog 10 minutes, then down to the water to get swim feel and mark my sighting areas. The swim path was amazingly raked  for athletes (thank you Mountain Lakes ) and minimal milfold to contend.  Time to line up.

The dock was loaded with athletes (record number 600?) this year. This is non-USAT venue, so your race number is just that. Didn't matter where in line you were, but out of courtesy to those stronger swimmers, I stayed where my swim time/number would place me.  It turned out #469 was good place to swim 600 or so.  I always start wide to avoid rapid heart rate, then tangent towards turn buoy. Didn't have any stutter stops or swimming over, under, or around people (haha... like I'm good enough to do that). No one swam over me either. Out of water with short lushed carpeted run to bike.
T1 was quick, but slower than last year. Mount bike with shoes already clipped in, as I always do, but had difficulty this time getting feet into them. Concentrating with lots effort to point, I found myself falling in slow motion because I was going so slow. Fell right by my car, in the grass
Lost time untangling myself after the fall, so I worked my way through the bass fishing tournament traffic, out of Goosepond. Finally able to ride. Managed around 19mph. It was slower than last year.
 

T2 pretty quick and off to favorite part ...the run. Temps and humidity were cooler, so the run was more enjoyable. As I was on the trail part of the course, toward finish, I could hear, "Good job Josh!" This couldn't be photo bomb Joshua Pierson. So I pick up the pace some.  I was correct, it was Joshua, and he was saying "Don't let me pass you!" And he didn't...but he was close enough to photo bomb at the finish line. Thanks for the push. You know you've raced when you lose cookies at finish.

Time was slower due to longer swim and crash on bike. But solid event 4 weeks after Worlds. I will take that. 1:29:10 and 3rd in my age group. 40th female, but 2nd place in my AG was only 6 seconds ahead.

Brenda McGovern
Fleet Feet Triathlon Racing Team