Sunday, October 6, 2013

Stump Jump 50k - or how I learned Yellowjackets like black compression socks (Kasandra Garner)




I signed up for Stump Jump back in August, because a series of events had resulted in my decision to not race Goosepond Half Distance Triathlon.  I was in the mood to do some long running, since I had mostly focused on shorter events all summer - and I will take any excuse to get in the woods.  Hence Stump Jump 50k seemed perfect.  Well, except that it was only 10 weeks away and my longest run all summer was maybe 9 miles.  But no matter, in the past whenever I have had plenty of time to train for a long event I end up over-training and getting injured, so my new motto is “Under-train, then suck it up!”  
 
Keeping with that motto, my longest run going into SJ was 16 miles, but at least it was on the trails of Monte Sano.  I also managed to get in several 14 mile runs on the trails, so I was a lot better prepared than I had been going into Dizzy Fifties last year.  SJ would be my second 50k, and I wanted to finish it feeling like I had done a trail run, not a death march.  With that in mind, I went up to Chattanooga the night before so that I could sleep in a little later the morning of the race.  I didn’t make it in time for packet pickup, but I did see Daniel Lucas at the pre-race dinner and he was very encouraging.  I wanted to hear all about Leadville, but he looked like he was kind of tired of talking about it and I had read his blog, so I refrained from badgering him.

The morning of the race I had no pre-race jitters, because I’m not a very good trail runner so there is no pressure – self imposed or otherwise.  Also, I literally did not know anyone there, and including the 400 people doing the 11 miler and 600 people doing the 50k it was a huge race for a trail run.  So I just drifted along, hearing snatches of conversation, fascinated by all the different types and personalities that come together at a trail run.  Everybody looked in really good shape.  I do think that in general, there is a higher percentage of sinewy no-body-fat badass types at a trail run than any other event I have done, including ironman distance races.

Finally it was time to go, and I started towards the end of the pack.  The first half mile or so was on a road through the gorgeous campus of Signal Mountain Middle and High School, then onto single track.  It was good to be forced to go whatever pace the person in front of or behind me was going, although I could have passed in a few places as we trotted along a gently rolling crushed gravel and then dirt trail the first 4-5 miles.  Then came Mushroom Rock, and a twisty, rocky, and at times steep descent to the aid station at Suck Creek (love that name).  I was feeling really good, maybe thinking I should pick it up a bit.  We crossed a road and went up some steep stairs onto the next section of trails, and a few moments later I experienced a sharp stinging pain in both my calves at the same time.  Yellow Jackets!  I got stung 3 times rapidly in a row, cussed, sprinted, and slapped at the nasty little bastards.  The guy in front of me got stung as well, and we commiserated for the next few miles about how much our stings were, well, stinging.  Then somewhere around mile 9 I got stung AGAIN on my shin, and I was like, “Bloody hell!  Am I wearing yellow jacket attractor or something?”  At which point a very nice person behind me pointed out that yellow jackets are attracted to dark colors, and since my Softwick compression socks were black….So I scrunched them down around my ankles.  My calves were burning.  I had big red welts in 4 places on my lower legs.  I was pissed.  I made it to the aid station at Indian Rock House around mile 10 still pretty pissed, and paranoid about yellow jackets.  And let me tell you, once you start paying attention, they are frickin’ everywhere!  My lovely run in the woods had become a painful fearful slog in which I couldn’t even enjoy some awesome views of the Tennessee River and surrounding mountains because I was too busy scanning my legs for yellow jackets.  But after a while the burn of the stings lessened a bit (although for the rest of the run the pain would come shooting back at odd times, making me think I was getting stung again) and I got over my pissiness with nature (you go in the woods, stuff happens, get over it) and I settled back into enjoying the day.  And the good Samaritan who told me about the socks must have been right, because I kept them scrunched down the rest of the day and although I ran by a thousand more yellow jackets I didn’t get stung anymore.  

There were a couple of miles in the 12 to 18 mile range that were pretty run-able, and after the steep declines and inclines that was a nice change.  I never could really get in a rhythm, though, because just when I would start to settle in there would be a rocky section.  I don’t remember exactly where the “rock garden” came, but it’s a long stretch of bouldering where a klutz like myself couldn’t go very fast because the rocks are moss covered and slippery and just looking to trap a foot or roll an ankle.  Amazingly enough, I only fell once, during one of the few stretches where the terrain was flat enough that I could run without studying the ground, and sure enough I tripped on a root and spilled headlong into a pile of leaves.  Teach me to try and look up while trail running.  After the rock garden my knees started hurting.  It made it hard to run after that.  Going up wasn’t the problem, it was coming down. 

At Mullens Cove (around 20 miles) I got my drop bag and sat for a minute to change socks (short ones.  I was still fearing yellow jackets and had to run back past the places I had been stung).  My knees felt better after the brief rest, and I ran for a few miles until I got to the steep downhill to the swinging bridge.  That fried them all over again.  After that, whenever I tried to run, it was a sad sort of shuffling gate that probably looked a lot like a fat pug going for a walk.  When I got back to the Suck Creek aid station at mile 24.8, I got a brief jolt of enthusiasm to learn my Garmin was off by a little more than a mile.  Only a 10k go!  Climbing out of Suck Creek was much preferable to going down, my poor knees were so sore.  And I knew that once I got to Mushroom Rock the truly heinous climbs were all over.  I really should have been able to run more of the last 4 miles, but I couldn’t seem to get above that God awful shuffle so I gave up and walked a lot.  You could hear the PA system from the finish line for most of the last 4 miles, but just when you would think you were close the trail would turn away on another half mile loop in the opposite direction.  It was torture, especially since by now it had gotten quite hot, even in the woods.  But finally I emerged from the single track and knew only ½ a mile or so to go, so I forced myself to at least jog on the road into the finish.  I was happy to finish in 7:54ish; I had been hoping to do better but the steep downhills were murder on my knees.  Of the 600 who started, only 343 made the 9 hour cut-off so it was a rough day for a lot of people.  I’m hoping that I will do better at Dizzy this year since I will (hopefully) be in better shape for a long run, and Dizzy won’t be so hard on my knees.  Stump Jump is a gorgeous course, I really wish I had been able to appreciate it more instead of being so distracted by the yellow jackets – and having to watch my feet to keep from rolling an ankle or going over the edge!  There was a lot of ridge running that one wrong step would have sent you plummeting.  There were also a lot of creek crossings, gorgeous rock formations, caves…just an awesome and awe-inspiring course.  Maybe someday I will go back and do it justice.  But I will wear white compression socks!

Happy trails and triathlons everyone, and good luck at Goosepond next week.  I will be at my family’s cabin in the NC Mountains, doing nothing more strenuous than getting up for seconds of my Mother’s cooking!