Sunday, July 20, 2014

Wet Dog Race Report by Melissa Johnson

“First Race Report Ever” dedicated to Alex Clark

“If you're not “First,” you're “Last!” Well, I wasn’t last at the Wet Dog Triathlon, but I wasn't first either, more like 12th out of 23 in my stellar 45-49 age group. Props to all my Fleet Feet teammates and the other Amazing racers who won today. I won't bore you with how I rose from the water like a Baywatch Babe, tearing of my yellow Fleet Feet Cap and running into T1, hopping onto my bike has I raced through a pond of water to beat my competition. Only to come rushing back on my bike to once again run through the pond and head off onto my run. My first run, by the way, since being cleared from a stress fracture. Splits, negative splits, whatever you diehard’s keep track of, I have no record of that, because according to my Garmin, I had an amazing swim the entire race! Obviously, operator error.

But instead, I discovered, I’m not the “Die Hard” athlete, but the cheerleader to make another person’s race a little better. As I was passed countless times by people with the look of pure determination on their faces I would shout, “Great Job, Keep Going!” It was during my run when I passed the gentleman on crutches I said, “You are amazing, keep it up,” and he said to me “No, you are Amazing.” I didn't get it then, but I get it now. Sometimes we get so focused on the race we forget about all the amazing athletes out there and what they are capable of doing. And just a small acknowledgement can mean so much to someone who is struggling. Like the gentleman on crutches, or my teammate, I told to keep going when she had a side cramp, or the lady I cheered when she thought she couldn't finish, and the last place finishers that I cheered while ever one else was gone. I’m not going to deny it’s “Awesome,” to win and to get the recognition. But it’s the experience I take away from each race that is the real prize. The friendships I've made and the people I've encountered, will long last the prize that sets on my desk collecting dust.