Friday, August 30, 2013

Rocketman 2013 Race Report by Brenda McGovern

Early bird does get the worm as I got an early start through gate 9 and arrived at the race site by 5:15, avoiding congestion. I managed transition setup and many trips to the bathroom before 6:00, and then it was off to warm up with a swim and jog with friend, Angela Jo Harris, who was from South Carolina.
 
After a wonderful introduction of athletes from Suzanne Erickson prior to the entrance into the water for the swim, I calmly began my stroke, but it was relentless forward motion in choppy waters. I kept my stroke easy, but on course, without losing sight of the first turn buoy. It was tough swimming against the current! After the second turn buoy, I was able to pulse forward, weaving to avoid struggling swimmers. With elbows,  punches into my side,  and kicks against my head, I managed to kept on course.
 
 
My sighting has improved since 140.6 training camp. I remember not long ago, I was one of those struggling swimmers. I swam until I was scraping my knuckle on the boat ramp to exit with wonderful volunteers tapping on my head saying "exit swim here".
 
Then, I was off to T1 in a short dash.
 
Bike leg was easy the first 10 minutes, then I picked up the pace as I had planned. A tiny headwind... okay... a LOT of headwind.  I delivered a descent bike leg -- only 2 minutes slower than last yea,r with encouragement from many friends and Fleetfeet Triathlon Racing teammates on the course. T2 was pretty quick for me, then I was off to what it is I think is my favorite part of triathlons....the run.
 
The first part of run on trails and shade was "ahhhhh..." nice! That's where teammate Josh Pierson photo bombed me. He had so much energy!
 
That nice shade feeling didn't last long, as I entered the hot sun (though it was not as hot as last year) and attempted my first water stop, with the new hydration water bags.  I tore it open with my teeth and ruptured the bag. I opted out of the normal cups.
 
My finish time 3:18:?? (2012 time was: 3:01:00. The swim was short then, this year's was long). I was 4th in my age group with 2 minutes away from a podium spot. My time was the same on the run this year as last year.  All-in-all, I thought that it was not too bad, considering that it was only two weeks after my "A" race -- the World Championship in Canada.
 
The finish wasn't pretty....but a finish....
 
 
Brenda McGovern
Fleetfeet Triathlon Racing Team Member