Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Trip and Race Report from 2013 Ottawa ITU Duathlon World Championships

It was an amazing adventure! A lot of firsts for everything: first airplane flight (crazy, huh?), first bike assembling, first World Championship. It was overwhelming! My planning and organizing began as soon as I received email saying I was qualified


The passport was a must, and the application must be accompanied by original birth certificate. A few weeks later, I received a letter stating I needed to resubmit because they couldn't read the original (55yr old) birth certificate. I thought ....what are you saying....I'm old?? So...I re-submitted!

With logistics completed: uniforms, hotel, flight, bike carrier, etc., I was ready to board my first flight. Gulp! I was nervous because I watch the news and worry about that stuff.
Finally, after many delays, arriving 3 hours past due to Ottawa, Canada, and exhausted, I struggled to stand up to carry my luggage to the elevator. I crashed in my hotel after that.

Next day..Thursday...busy work. Athletes must check in, breakfast and team run around Parliament and the historical parts of Ottawa. Then I braved assembling my bike for first time.
Parade of Athletes that evening with athletes from 24 countries representing. The USA were strongest 400 representing. It was very moving! Tears began trickling! Dinner was with all athletes soon after, with room buzzing chatter. It was awesome!
Friday was team ride. It was a 400-rider Peloton through race course for preview. Very tedious if your bike handling skills in tight areas weren't strong. There was one crash with the rider suffering a concussion the day before the event. I was unsure if that athlete was cleared to compete, but it seemed OK. Getting to start line without injury always challenging, so I hope they competed.

Okay, now race day. I was composed, but nervous. My wave start had a designated time to enter transition at 6:00-6:50 for wave start at 7:25. The officials were very strict or you would receive a DQ. With many athletes, best as crowd control.

As I toed the start line, nerves subsided. I executed my race well. The temperature was 70 degrees with a 20-mph head/cross wind. Nice for runs, but challenging on the bike. It was asolid race for me without any GI or mechanical issues. I finished with a time of 2:44:30. The announcer said that this age group was very competitive. As I looked at the results, USA finished as if it was a XC meet.
It was an amazing experience to cross Worlds finish line feeling great! My race plan executed well. I couldn't have asked for more. But the best part of this experience was that I got recruited to assist in the para athletes event as a handler! More tears as I witness an emotional event. I'm so grateful and blessed to have experienced it all.
Bicycle Cove had a serious and professional impact on lessing my worries when traveling with my bike. I want to thank my Fleet Feet Triathlon Racing Team members for their cheers and support. None of this would have been possible without my friends, the triathlon community, and Fleet Feet Sports - Suzanne and Dink Taylor for all they do in the sports community. Thank you!
Brenda J. McGovern
Fleet Feet Tri Racing.